Last Updated on 16th August 2020 by Ajmer Singh
Understand Website Traffic!
Every website owner wishes for only one thing, i.e. more website traffic. We all know how important website traffic is for business. It is a source of revenue for website owners.
If you have enough traffic on your website, you can easily convert the traffic into sales. But to do this, you need to know from which source the traffic is being generated.
There are different types of website traffic. You can use Google Analytics to check the traffic as well as the type of traffic.
With this information, you can take adequate steps to generate more traffic. The source of traffic is the key.
Example, there is more direct traffic and less social traffic on your website, you can undertake measures to increase the social traffic as well. It will give you added benefit in the form of increased conversion rate and revenue.
In this post, we are going to discuss different types of website traffic. You can use this information to increase your website traffic from different sources and use appropriate traffic generating strategies.
Different Types of Website Traffic:
There are four main types of traffic on websites. They are as follows.
- Direct Traffic
- Organic Traffic
- Referral Traffic
- Social Traffic
We are going to discuss these four main types of website traffic in this post.
It is one of the most common types of website traffic. You can generate this traffic using simple techniques. If any visitor visits your website directly, it is known as direct traffic.
You don’t have to use nay channels or mediums for this traffic; people will directly visit your website. If someone visits your website by using your URL instead of any other links, it will be considered as direct traffic.
If you use Google search or any other way to reach the website, it will not be considered as a direct website.
Direct marketing can be very useful for your business. It clearly indicates that people are aware of your website. Loyal customers often comprise direct traffic.
It will show that people are loyal to your website. It also helps you to know that offline marketing works for your business.
Types of Direct Traffic:
Here are some types of direct traffic.
- Customers who return to your site again and again.
- Regular visitors who visit your site daily.
- Visitors form offline marketing
- The visitors who are referred by others
- Visitors who visit your site on the basis on word of mouth publicity.
Ways to Increase Direct Traffic:
You can use these ways to increase direct traffic on your website.
- Brand Awareness: Make your brand known to the visitors so that they can easily visit your website directly.
- Simple URL’s: Choose a simple URL for your website. This way, people can easily remember the address of your site.
- Offline marketing: Invest more time in offline marketing as direct traffic is mostly generated by word of mouth and referrals.
- Focus on Visitors who return: You need to design your website in such a manner that people keeps returning to your site. You can post daily blogs, quotes, poems or stories.
When people visit your website by clicking on the search results generated by Google or any other search engine, it is known as organic traffic. It is also known as search traffic because here people use search engines to visit your website.
Organic traffic helps you to know that people are interested in your website. It also helps you to know where the traffic is coming.
If you have higher organic traffic, it means you have potential customers. You can easily implement various strategies to convert them.
Types of Organic Traffic:
Here are two types of organic traffic.
- Organic Search: This traffic comes from organic search on the internet. When someone searches something on Google and click on your website that appears in the results, it is organic traffic. You can mostly increase this traffic by using SEO.
- Paid Search: You need to pay in order to purchase ads. It will help you to rank your website on the tip of search results.
Ways to increase Organic traffic:
You can use all these ways to increase organic traffic on your website.
- SEO Strategy: By using Search Engine Optimization, you can rank your website on top of the search results. Certain keywords are a great help to improve the ranking of your site on various search engines.
- Keyword search: You need to search for the keyword used by the visitors to search on Goggle. Then you have to add these keywords in your content to improve the ranking.
- Content Marketing: You can also use content to improve the visibility of your site in online search results. It is one of the cheapest ways to increase organic traffic.
As the name goes, referral traffic is referred. When someone visits your site indirectly through some other site, it is known as referral traffic.
The other sit is not supposed to be a search engine. Example, if you have posted a link on any other site and some clicks on it to reach your site, it is called referral traffic.
With referral traffic, you can reach new visitors and customers. It is a clear indication that people from other sites are interested in your website. Thereby, you can focus more on referral traffic.
Types of referral traffic:
Here are the two types of referral traffic.
- Advertising: You advertise your website on other websites to increase the traffic. Many people use this technique to increase the number of visitors on their site.
- Social Media: You can also share the links of your site on different social media platforms. Social media users can click on the link to reach your site.
Ways to increase referral traffic:
You can use these ways to increase referral traffic on your website.
- Sponsor Website: You can post your ads or links on your partner’s website. You can also do this on your sponsor’s website. It will help you generate traffic from their site.
- Media Coverage: You can use editorial content to market your website. You can use different types of media platform like magazines and newspaper to refer your website.
- Email marketing: You can also use an email list to send emails with your web site’s link to promote it.
- Guest Blogging: You can post your blogs on other guest sites as well as low other people to post their blogs on your site to increase referral traffic for your site.
- Online listing: You can souse online listings to generate more referral traffic. It will not generate much traffic, but it is good to try.
When people visit your site from social media, it is known as social traffic. As we all know, social media has become a huge platform for marketing as well.
You can post about your sites or maintain a page with your link attached to get as much attention you can. People will use the link to visit your website, thereby increasing the traffic.
This kind of traffic has huge potential. You can easily use this technique. It is very cost-effective.
You can use different types of social media platform to get traffic. People normally use Facebook to get traffic as people spend most of their time on Facebook.
But nowadays, Instagram, Quora, Pinterest are also a good option too. You can easily post ads on these platforms to attract social traffic on your site.
You can use these ways to increase social traffic on your website.
- Viral Content: You can create viral content and post it on social media. People love viral content. You can easily generate more social traffic in a short span of time.
- Monitor: Monitor the trends and activities of people on social media so that you can post related content to gain attention.
- Experiment: You can experiment with posting content on social media at different intervals of time. You can also experiment with the type of content to gain more visitors.
- Tease the people: You can post only a post of content with a cliffhanger so that people are intrigued with your post. It will help you to gain many visitors.
- Use relevant content: Post relevant and useful content so that people can read it. If they like your content, they will keep vesting your website for more.
These are the four main types of website traffic. Each type of traffic has its own advantages and disadvantages. If you know which type of traffic is more suitable for your website, you use proper strategies. But first, you need to know where the traffic is coming.
Google analytics report will help you to check that. Once you know which type of traffic you need to focus on, you can use various ways to increase it.
A website cannot function without traffic. Traffic brings life to a website. It is very easy to start a website but to maintain it; you need steady traffic.
If you want to increase the traffic on your website, the first step you need to take is to check the type of traffic on your website. This post will help you to distinguish between different types of website traffic and focus on ways to increase it.
People also search for:
Ajmer Singh is the Founder & Author of Findmytricks. He is a passionate blogger and with the help of his articles, you can learn WordPress & Blogging in a simple way.
CONTACT: [email protected]
1. “Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.”
2. “First, learn the rules, then break them”